Secure Coding mailing list archives

Secure programming is NOT just good programming

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:42:09 -0400

At 3:19 PM -0400 10/12/06, Leichter, Jerry wrote:

The only way forward is by having the *computer* do this kind of
thing for us.  The requirements of the task are very much like those
of low-level code optimization:  We leave that to the compilers today,
because hardly anyone can do it well at all, much less competitively
with decent code generators, except in very special circumstances.
Code inspection tools are a necessary transitional step - just as
Purify-like tools are an essential transitional step to find memory
leaks in code that does manual storage management.  But until we can
figure out how to create safer *languages* - doing for security what
garbage collection does for memory management - we'll always be
several steps behind.

It is not adequate to *create* safer languages - it is necessary to
have developers *use* those languages.  Given the emphasis on C and
C++ within posts on this list, that seems a long way off.
--
Larry Kilgallen