Secure Coding mailing list archives

re-writing college books [was: Re: A banner year for software bugs | Tech News on ZDNet]

From: rcs at cert.org (Robert C. Seacord)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:20:22 -0400

Gadi,

I sort of agree with mic that the problem is poor programming.  My last
manager liked to pick up C text books at random and point out all the
vulnerabilities in the code examples that are being used to teach the
next generation of programmers (how to write vulnerabilities).

This community is perfect for this job.

If the community is bored right now ;^) we are looking for community
help to build up our knowledge of secure coding rules and
recommendations for the C and C++ programming languages:

www.securecoding.cert.org

I'm also teaching a course at CMU in the spring on Secure Coding in C
and C++.  I'm hoping to take this material and incorporate it into the
course.  Once I get some experience teaching the material, I could help
turn it into a college text.  (I've written three books already, so I'm
a proven threat. 8^)

Thanks,
rCs

--