Secure Coding mailing list archives

"Bumper sticker" definition of secure software

From: crispin at novell.com (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:10:16 -0700

Goertzel Karen wrote:

I've been struggling for a while to synthesise a definition of secure
software that is short and sweet, yet accurate and comprehensive.

My favorite is by Ivan Arce, CTO of Core Software, coming out of a
discussion between him and I on a mailing list about 5 years ago.

    Reliable software does what it is supposed to do. Secure software
    does what it is supposed to do, and /nothing else/.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell  http://novell.com