Secure Coding mailing list archives

Coding with errors in mind - a solution?

From: secureCoding2dave at davearonson.com (Dave Aronson)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:52:37 -0400

William L. Anderson wrote:

Years ago I had to write a Fortran
program as part of a job interview. The program problem was quite
simple, and I wrote one that checked for as many errors as I could think
of. My interviewer wanted to know what took me so long. I didn't get an
offer.

Years ago (probably not as many), I had to write a C program for a job
interview.  I also had it test for practically every error I could think
of, mainly input format errors.  I did get the offer, but I was told
that the company placed such a premium on performance (it was telephony
stuff) that I should not be quite so thorough on the errorchecking.
Silly me, I had thought that they would also value reliability....

My 2 cents is that people are not really willing to pay for software
with the kinds of qualities that we talk about in this list (which is
about more than security).

Well, *most* people anyway.  The avionics, medical, and suchlike fields
are quite another story.

Bill Anderson

Is this perchance the Bill Anderson who was my "great grandboss" until
he left BAE for Cryptek?

--
Dave Aronson
http://www.davearonson.com/