Secure Coding mailing list archives

secure integer library

From: pmeunier at cerias.purdue.edu (Pascal Meunier)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:43:09 -0400

Nice.  I'll mention it in my secure programming class this semester.  I'd be
interested in any exercises/labs based on it, appropriate for undergrads.

Cheers,
Pascal

On 8/17/06 10:04 AM, "Robert C. Seacord" <rcs at cert.org> wrote:

The CERT/CC has released a beta version of a secure integer library for
the C Programming Language.  The library is available for download from
the CERT/CC Secure Coding Initiative web page at:
http://www.cert.org/secure-coding/

The purpose of this library is to provide a collection of utility
functions that can assist software developers in writing C programs that
are free from common integer problems such as integer overflow, integer
truncation, and sign errors that are a common source of software
vulnerabilities.

Functions have been provided for all integer operations subject to
overflow such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, unary
negation, etc.) for int, long, long long, and size_t integers.  The
following example illustrates how the library can be used to add two
signed long integer values:

long retsl, xsl, ysl;
xsl = LONG_MAX;
ysl = 0;
retsl = addsl(xsl,ysl);

For short integer types (char and short) it is necessary to truncate the
result of the addition using one of the safe conversion functions
provided, for example:

char retsc, xsc, ysc;
xsc = SCHAR_MAX;
ysc = 0;
retsc = si2sc(addsi(xsc, ysc));

For error handling, the secure integer library uses the mechanism for
Runtime-constraint handling defined by TR 24731 "Specification for
Safer, More Secure C Library Functions" available at:

The implementation uses the high performance algorithms defined by Henry
S. Warren in the book "Hacker's Delight".

For more information on vulnerabilities and other problems resulting
from the incorrect use of integers in C and C++ please read Chapter 5 of
"Secure Coding in C and C++" which is available as a free download from
the CERT web site:

http://www.cert.org/books/secure-coding/moreinfo.html

Please address any defect reports, comments and suggestions concerning
the Secure Integer Library or CERT Secure Coding Initiative to me.
Thanks to Henry and to Juan Alvarado who coded the implementation.

Thanks,
rCs