Secure Coding mailing list archives

A New Open Source Approach to Weakness

From: jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com (Jeff Williams)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:56:05 -0400

We're familiar with the CWE project and there's a lot of overlap between
our vulnerabilities - not surprising given that most came from the same
sources.  Where possible we're trying to keep the same names.  We've
found that some of the topics are really attacks, and have organized
them accordingly.  One of the really great things that CWE has done is
providing links to actual CVE entries demonstrating each of the
vulnerabilities.

We started Honeycomb to:

 - create a complete library of application security building-blocks,
including principles, threats, attacks, vulnerabilities, and
countermeasures

 - enable the rich interconnection of those building-blocks in ways that
a strict one-dimensional taxonomy cannot allow

 - encourage security experts in the community to share their knowledge,
argue, edit, discuss, and resolve in wisdom of crowds fashion

--Jeff