Secure Coding mailing list archives

By default, the Verifier is disabled on .Net and Java

From: stephen at corsaire.com (Stephen de Vries)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 14:38:42 +0700

On 3 May 2006, at 06:48, Dinis Cruz wrote:

Here is a more detailed explanation of why (in my previous post) I
said: "99% of .Net and Java code that is currently deployed is
executed on an environment where the VM verifier is disabled,  ."

------------------

In .Net the verifier (the CLR function that checks for type safety)
is only enabled on partial trust .Net environments.

Java has implemented this a bit differently, in that the byte code
verifier and the security manager are independent.  So you could for
example, run an application with an airtight security policy (equiv
to partial trust), but it could still be vulnerable to type confusion
attacks if the verifier was not explicitly enabled.  To have both
enabled you'd need to run with:
java -verify -Djava.security.policy ...

regards,

--