Secure Coding mailing list archives

4 Questions: Latest IE vulnerability, Firefox vs IE security, User vs Admin risk profile, and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

From: ljknews at mac.com (ljknews)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:54:51 -0400

At 1:51 PM +0100 4/6/06, Dinis Cruz wrote:

ljknews wrote:

At 11:39 AM +0000 3/25/06, Dinis Cruz wrote:

3) Since my assets as a user exist in user land, isn't the risk profile
of malicious unmanaged code (deployed via IE/Firefox) roughly the same
if I am running as a 'low privileged' user or as administrator? (at the

If the administrator's assets are compromised, all users of the system
will have their assets compromised.

Sure, but if the main assets exist within that user's space, then the
risk is similar.

No, the only thing at risk is the assets of _that_ user, not the other
users.

Certainly users should not store credentials in software on a computer.

Ok, but this is impossible today (at least in Windows).

Windows ? Is that the operating system whose publisher just said
it is hopeless to clean up after a successful attack ?

If one is not the administrator, there should be no way to install
software.  If there is, the operating system is underprotected.

Who said that?

William H. Murray of Deloitte and Touche.

I might not be able to put it in under the 'Program files'
folder, add files to the windows directory or write to some sections of
the registry. But since you can run executables, you can perform all sorts
of malicious actions.

His ideal model is a machine where the users have no ability to execute
a program they introduce to the machine.  There is a strict boundary
between programs and data.

But he is talking about real security, not Windows.
--
Larry Kilgallen