Secure Coding mailing list archives

[Full-disclosure] Re: [Owasp-dotnet] RE: 4 Questions: LatestIE vulnerability, Firefox vs IE security, Uservs Admin risk profile, and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net (Gunnar Peterson)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:00:16 -0500

This comes back to that great concept called 'Faith-based' Security
(see Gunnar Peterson's post http://1raindrop.typepad.com/1_raindrop/
2005/11/net_and_java_fa.html ), which is when people are told so
many times that something is secure, that that they believe that it
MUST be secure. Some examples:

This is also neatly summarized by Brian Snow thusly:

We will be in a truly dangerous stance: we will think we are secure
(and act accordingly) when in fact we are not secure.

-gp

1. Notes and links on "We Need Assurance!" paper
http://1raindrop.typepad.com/1_raindrop/2005/12/the_road_to_ass.html