Secure Coding mailing list archives

ZDNet: Attackers switching to applications, media players

From: ken at krvw.com (Kenneth R. van Wyk)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:06:18 -0500 (EST)

FYI, interesting article on ZDNet today citing a SANS study.  The article says, among other
things, "Online criminals shifted their attacks in 2005 from operating systems such as
Windows to media players and software programs, according to a study released Tuesday."

If the study's findings are correct, then it places an emphasis on organizations' software
security efforts.  IMHO, it's certainly not about "the perimeter" anymore (if it ever really
was).

Cheers,

Ken

P.S. On a list administrative front, it appears that the Mailman list manager seems to be
working pretty well for us.  One significant change that could impact you subscribers is
that I've configured Mailman to discard incoming messages from anyone that is not subscribed
to SC-L.  So, if you use a local mail alias to read your SC-L, you might have difficulties
submitting messages to the group. If that's the case, just drop me a note and I'll step you
through setting things up so that your submissions don't get discarded.  (The discarding has
done wonders for reducing the amount of spam in my life.)

--
Kenneth R. van Wyk
KRvW Associates, LLC