Secure Coding mailing list archives

Countering Trusting Trust through Diverse Double-Compiling

From: bellovin at acm.org (Steven M. Bellovin)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:10:42 -0500

In message <200512141941.47006 at KRvW>, "Kenneth R. van Wyk" writes:

This reminded me of an old class of PC viruses (circa 1992) that evaded
detection by file scanners by hooking the S-DOS  file read interrupt and
returning the original, uninfected version of infected files whenever a
program opened up an infected file for reading.  It tricked a lot of file
scanners at the time.  If I'm not mistaken, it was the DIR-II family of
viruses.  I'm sure that you've taken that sort of evasive action into
account, but I thought that I'd mention it here for the SC-L folks.

And there is, as I recall, a Linux piece of malware that uses a
loadable kernel module of some sort to hide a back door in init -- if
it's not opened by pid 1, it gives the real file; otherwise, it
gives the Trojan'ed version.

                --Steve Bellovin, http://www.stevebellovin.com