Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Application Insecurity --- Who is at Fault?

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:45:54 +0100

Julie JCH Ryan, D.Sc. wrote:

Other students chimed in on the argument positing that the programming
challenge was an inaccurate measure of student programming capability
because the contestant was not allowed to do research on the internet
during the challenge.  Another said the problem was that the challenge
was too long and required contestants to have memorized too much.

Formal contests are always inaccurate abstractions of the real world. As
you raise the value of the contest, this inevitably pressures
contestants to "game the system" and target the artificial artifacts of
the game rules instead of the real world. Whether this has happened to
the ACM Programming contest is a subjective opinion. IMHO, a closed-book
contest is no longer very relevant to the real world, where Google is
always just seconds away.

This is particularly interesting to me because I just had a doctoral
student come to me with an idea for dissertation research that
included an hypothesis that organizations at SEI 1 were better able to
estimate software development time and costs than organizations at SEI
5.  He didn't seem to grasp the implications to quality, security,
life cycle maintenance, etc.

Or it could be that the student is positing that the methods mandated in
the SEI are a grand waste of time, which would be an interesting
hypothesis to test. Certainly the successes of open source development
models make a mockery of some of the previously thought hard rules of
Brooks' "Mythical Man Month", and I dare say that traditional software
engineering methods deserve questioning.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com