Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Mobile phone OS security changing?

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:12:25 +0100

Kenneth R. van Wyk wrote:

Greetings,

I noticed an interesting "article" about a mobile phone virus affecting
Symbian-based phones out on Slashdot today.  It's an interesting read:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/04/06/0049209.shtml?tid=220&tid=100&tid=193&tid=137

What particularly caught my attention was the sentence, "Will mobile OS
companies, like desktop OS makers, have to start an automatic update system,
or will the OS creators have to start making their software secure?"  Apart
from the author implying that this is an "or" situation,

I think it is definitely an "or" situation: automatic updates are
expensive to provision and fugly for the user. They are just a kludge
used when, for some reason, the software canot be made secure.

That the desktop vendor (Microsoft) has not made their software secure
is manifestly obvious. Whether the "can't" or "won't" is subject to
rampant debate and speculation. The "can't" view says that legacy
software and fundamentally broken architecture make securing it
infeasible. The "won't" view says that it was not profitable for MS to
spend the effort, and they are now changing.

That the alternate desktop vendors (all the UNIX and Linux vendors
including Apple) have made secure desktops is also manifestly obvious
(no viruses to speak of, and certainly no virus problem). Whether this
is "luck" or "design" is subect to rampant debate and speculation. The
"luck" view says that these minority desktops are not a big enough
target to be interesting to the virus writers. The "design" view is that
the virus problem is induced by: 1. running the mail client with
root/administrator privilege, and 2. a mail client that eagerly trusts
and executes attached code, and that until UNIX/Linux desktops have both
of those properties in large numbers, there never will be a virus
problem on UNIX/Linux desktops.

What the phone set people will do depends on which of the above factors
you think apply to phone sets. Certainly the WinCE phones with Outlook
are about to be virus-enabled. I don't know enough about Symbian to
answer. The Linux hand sets could be designed either way; it would not
surprise me to see phone set peole architecting a phone so that the
keyboard is root. It is not exactly intuitive to treat a hand set as a
multi-user platform.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/