Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Java keystore password storage

From: "john bart" <sysadmin256 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:07:07 +0100

Is there something like window's DPAPI in the Unix world (solaris, linux,
etc..)?

From: "Michael Howard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "john bart"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: RE: Java keystore password storage
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:52:49 -0700

Oh this thorny issue again!

On Windows you can call into the Data Protection API (CryptProtectData
etc), which uses keys derived from the user's password to protect secret
data like this, or uses a machine key if you want to lock the key down
to the machine. Mac OSX offers a similar technology called Keychain
(SecKeychainAddGenericPassword etc), but these are of course OS specific
solutions.

I know of no other way that works solely with Java on all platforms...

[Writing Secure Code] http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5957.asp
[Protect Your PC] http://www.microsoft.com/protect
[Blog] http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_howard
[SDL] http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/sdl