Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: "Tech News on ZDNet" -- OS makers: Security is job No. 1

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:05:45 +0100

We need to remember that users are generally illiterate when it comes
to the details of how their computer functions.  That's why they are
USERS.  They don't know (or care) how or why their computer works.
All they care about is that it does what they need for it to do.
Quite frankly, that is all they really SHOULD have to care about.

Yes.  But...

It is not necessary for me to understand all the gory intimate
details of how my car works in order for me to use it in a safe
fashion.  The same should be true of my computer.

...the technology isn't there yet.

Back in the early days of automobiles, every car owner - or at least
driver - more or less had to be a decent mechanic.  It took many
decades to get from there to here with cars.  I don't see it as at all
surprising that computers - much more complex in relevant ways - aren't
really ready for use by people who just want a tool, nor do I expect
that to change soon.

The actual problem is that people (mostly with a vested interest in
increasing the computer-user population) have marketed them as usable
by the blinking-twelve crowd, and we (whoever "we" are) are now faced
with a mess thus created and are being expected to make the fantasy
that was sold to them cone true.

I for one am not interested in trying to do so - at least not in any
way other than playing my own small part in the natural evolution of
the field in that direction.  "Dammit, Jim, I'm an OS hacker, not a
miracle worker!"  (Well, okay, I do do application work sometimes. :)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               [EMAIL PROTECTED]