Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Protecting users from their own actions

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:28:48 +0100

Wall, Kevin wrote:

Isn't this something that users probably shouldn't be given a choice
on? Normally I would think that corporate security policy dictate
keeping the AV software / signatures up-to-date as well as dictating
the (personal) firewall configurations. Some centrally administered
software should do these things...

I agree that central administration works best in today's corporate
environments, but I was referring also to the more general desktop
environments as well, right down to the home and SOHO users that
have to install and/or update their own.

Aside from that issue, though, the primary point that I wanted to get
across is that there are substantial limitations to what we can
accomplish through user education.  I believe that our
software -- from enterprise app servers through desktop emailers
and browsers -- needs to do better at protecting users, even
when they make decisions that we would think to be unwise.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk