Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Dot Net guidelines?

From: "Kreusch, Stephen (ZA - Johannesburg)" <skreusch () deloitte co za>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:27:40 +0100

You can look at Microsoft's document in their Patterns & Practices
series, titled "Building Secure ASP.NET Applications -Authentication,
Authorization, and Secure Communication".  It's available at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=
055FF772-97FE-41B8-A58C-BF9C6593F25E

There's a three part series on Component Security Design Considerations
available at http://www.arctecgroup.net/articles.htm

        Part 1 J2EE Security
        Part 2 .Net Security
        Part 3 Comparing J2EE and .Net Security

Looks fairly high-level, compared to the Microsoft documentation, so you
may want to give these three docs to your development teams as a start.

Sanctum have released "Secure Coding Practices for Microsoft .NET
Applications", available at
http://www.sanctuminc.com/pdf/whitepaper_secure_coding_practices_vsdotne
t.pdf.  It's basically a brief checklist of things to avoid.

You can also look at the OWASP.net site, currently at
http://domain444037.sites.fasthosts.com/OWASP/aspx/.  There is a
Security Guides link off the main page.

I don't claim to have read all these docs in great detail, so YMMV.

Regards
Stephen