Secure Coding mailing list archives

Computerworld op/ed on vulnerability patch cycle

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:11:00 +0100

FYI, I just saw an opinion piece on Computerworld written by Bill Addington
called "Slow down the security patch cycle".  (See
http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2004/0,4814,92037,00.html for full
story.)  In the article, the author discusses some possible solutions for
improving the distribution of vulnerability and patch information.

For example, he says, "In one possible scenario, software owners would
subscribe to an automated patch service. Those without a subscription would
receive the patch through current means, but it would expose those users to
greater risk. Subscribers would receive a predeployed, encrypted version of
the patch. At a predetermined point, a decryption key would be passed to a
patch installer on all subscribed systems."

Now, I'm not at all convinced that this would solve any problems -- IMHO, it
would create more than it solves.   In particular, he's advocating this
slowing down of patch distribution in response to the recent Witty worm,
which hit the net just a day or so after ISS put out their patch for the
vulnerabilities in their products.

Also, I believe that the author is too focused on an operations-only solution
set to vulnerability issues, IMHO.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk
http://www.krvw.com