Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: ACM Queue article and security education

From: James Walden <jwalden () eecs utoledo edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:43:16 +0100

Kenneth R. van Wyk wrote:
Overall, I like and agree with much of what Marcus said in the article.
I don't, however, believe that we can count on completely putting
security "below the radar" for developers.  Having strong languages,
compilers, and run-time environments that actively look out for and
prevent common problems like buffer overruns are worthy goals, to be
sure, but counting solely on them presumes that there are no security
problems at the design, integration, or operations stages of the
lifecycle.  Even if the run-time environment that Marcus advocates is
_perfect_ in its protection, these other issues are still problematic
and require the developers and operations staff to understand the problems.

I agree that you can't solve all security problems with development tools, but
I think security tools are a worthwhile investment because deploying tools can
be accomplished much more quickly than educating developers, tools can help
experienced developers, and tools can raise awareness of software security
issues.  The article's mention of people creating patches to eliminate compiler
security warnings may indicate that I'm too optimistic about tools raising
awareness, but I think that some developers will learn from their tools.

Yup, but in the "belt and suspenders" approach that I like to advocate,
I'd like to see software security in our undergrad cirricula as well as
professional training that helps developers understand the security
touch points throughout the development process -- not just during the
implementation phase.

I agree.  Students should see software security in all development phases
relevant to each software course that they take; software engineering in
particular should address security topics in all phases of the development
process.  I think there's an additional need for a class focused purely on
security to put all the elements of security together.

Peter G. Neumann wrote:
Gee, Some of us have been saying that for 40 years.

I can't deny that even if I have only been reading your comp.risks digest for a
little more than a third of that span, but I think the fact that today's
security problems are directly and indirectly impacting large segments of the
population has increased awareness of security problems, and, as a result,
we're seeing a rise in security education.  Many of us like to think that
computer science changes rapidly, and it does compared to older fields like
physics, where you have to go to graduate school to study much that was
developed after the 1930's, but I suspect most people in any field avoid change
until it's forced upon them.

--
James Walden, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of EECS