Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Anyone looked at security features of D programming la nguage compared to Spark?

From: Jim & Mary Ronback <Jim_Ronback () dccnet com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:52:48 +0100

Jeremy Epstein wrote:

Jim & Mary Ronback opined:

I am hard put to find an example of a language feature which makes a
system more secure but less safe or vice versa, in any context. Can
anyone else think of one?

Not 100%, but consider automatic garbage collection.  Tends to make a system
*more secure*, because it's associated with languages that avoid pointers with
all their evilness.  Tends to make a system less safe, because if the
garbage collection occurs at the wrong time (e.g., when you're spitting out
radiation for a medical instrument), it could cause the system to
temporarily freeze.

--Jeremy

It is not clear how an attacker could exploit the lack of automatic
garbage collection to contribute to a security breach.
I  would agree with you if you replaced "*more secure*" with "*more
reliable*".

Jim