Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Standards for security

From: Nick Lothian <nl () essential com au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:09:47 +0000

I guess my concern is that the size of the problem is not
really well known,
because so much of it is held secret.  What percentage of
customer databases
out there are vulnerable?  Is it the sort of number you could begin to
figure out, or would it simply be a best guess?

The question isn't how many customer databases are vulnerable - the question
is how vulnerable they are and to what kind of attack.

It is one thing to have a database exposed to a malicious DBA, but it should
cause a lot more concern if you can get customers credit card numbers via
SQL injection from the web.

To what extent is this standard a fact, and to what extent is it a goal?

I think an increasing number of customers expect "best practice" for
security. The definition of "best practice" is tricky of course, but often
includes the OWASP guidelines.

Nick