Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Looking for good software security stats

From: "Greenarrow 1" <Greenarrow1 () msn com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:25:33 +0000

At this site they have a Adobe Pdf all about the below subject if anyone is
interested in reading:

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid14_gci952377,00.html?track=NL-102&ad=477590

[Ed. That would be the new Hoglund and McGraw book.  Oh, and (free)
registration is required for the above site. KRvW]

Exploiting Software: How to Break Code, Chapter 7 -- Buffer Overflow

Buffer Overflow 101
The buffer overflow remains the crown jewel of attacks, and it is likely to
remain so for years to come. Part of this has to do with the common
existence of vulnerabilities leading to buffer overflow. If holes are there,
they will be exploited. Languages that have out-of-date memory management
capability such as C and C++ make buffer overflows more common than they
should be. As long as developers remain unaware of the security
ramifications of using certain everyday library functions and system calls,
the buffer overflow will remain commonplace

Regards,
George
Greenarrow1
InNetInvestigations-Forensics