Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: How C# does fit the bill? (was: MISRA C)

From: "Erik Anderson" <eanderso () co kitsap wa us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:20:24 +0000

"David Crocker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/31/03 3:17:09 PM >>>
DC> What I would like to see is a widely-implemented,
DC> well-designed, type-safe object-oriented language.
DC> Eiffel comes close but is not widely implemented or
DC> used. The present version of Ada (95) is a poor
DC> choice for serious O-O development. Maybe in future
DC> we will see a C++ subset based on extending the
DC> MISRA standard.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts (and anybody else's) on how
well C# fits this criteria and does not. And where does it meet secure
coding practices and where it fails. I'm not after a MS bashing thread
(or flame wars) but an honest study and impression.

As several threads in the list have pointed out, good security and
coding practices are not exclusively dependent on the language used but
the programmer writing it. However, some languages do lend themselves to
easier implementations than others (e.g. Java's sandbox approach).

From my limited use of it, I think it holds a lot of potential. I've
been able to easily create database readers, edit forms, and even read
binary files mixed with 8, 16, & 32-bit integers from 1985. This was
possible because of the classes provided in the .NET Framework and the
similarity of the language itself to C/C++/Java. But, I'm sure many of
you in the group have far more extensive experience than I. So what say
you?

Oh, and Happy New Year ;)

--
Erik W. Anderson, GIS
Analyst         WWW:    http://www.kitsapgov.com/gis/

Kitsap County
GIS                     E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

614 Division St., MS-21                 Voice:  (360) 337-4443
Port Orchard, WA  98366-4682            FAX:    (360) 337-4555