Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: New Microsoft Security Tool for developers

From: "Erik Anderson" <eanderso () co kitsap wa us>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:27:21 +0000

der Mouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/16/03 >>>
EA> char *strncpy(char * restrict s1, const char * restrict s2,
EA> size_t n) ;

M> I've seen this "restrict" thing starting to pop up in various
M> places. I assume it's some C99ism; do you happen to know what
M> its semantics are?

First, I should've passed on the URL for this document. You can find
the official home of JTC1/SC22/WG14 - C at
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/. There's a lot of links to
documents on the development of the C99 standard by the work group. The
one's most notable (for me) are:

* C99 Draft Rationale (N897)
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n897.pdf

* Jan. 18, 1999 WG14 Committee Draft (N869 available in PDF, PS, TXT)
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n869/

As for the new "restrict" type qualifier, the formal declaration can be
found in Section 6.7.3.1 of both the draft standard and rationale
documents. Beyond that, I don't know much more about it than you do.
Hope this helps some.