Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Variable comparisons

From: Dave Aronson <securecoding () dja mailme org>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:35:15 +0000

On Tue December 2 2003 15:16, Chris Richards wrote:

I may actually buy this book.  Despite the fact that it is from
Microsoft.

:-)

Actually, from the much I've read *about* them and little I've read *of*
them, Microsoft Press books tend to be pretty good!  Some theorize that
the documentation that ships with MS products is so bad, in order to
get you to buy the MS Press books about the product.  However, since
the ones on SE often contain excellent advice on robustness, security,
etc., that MS obviously does not follow, there may be a clear
separation between the software and book lines of business.  B-)/2

it is far cheaper to design a problem out of a
product than it is to test a problem out of a product.  It seems to
me that a large part of the software industry has yet to figure this
out; it doesn't seem to get taught to the young people coming out of
University,

It was taught to me in 1983, and I've seen it in professional
periodicals (usually as a basic axiom, used to support something else)
frequently since then.  Maybe it's not taught *any more*, but I very
much doubt it, as awareness of the importance of design (vs. sit down
and hack it out) seems to have only increased since then.

Unfortunately, this is only well-known THEORY, and rarely PRACTICED.
The big question is why?  My guess is the standard excuse of schedule
pressure, plus a desire to get quickly to what so many consider the fun
part, the coding.  Any others?

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
(Opinions above NOT those of securesw.com unless so stated!)