Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: Java NullPointerException's (was "", was (Shellcode In jection))

From: Nick Lothian <nl () essential com au>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:14:06 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Lewis, Todd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 15 December 2003 2:45 AM
To: Crispin Cowan; Jeffrey W. Baker
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [SC-L]

Although I agree about ML, I have to say that the number of
null-pointer
exceptions I've seen in Java apps leaves me suspicious that
it might not be
as safe as it's cracked up to be.  Plus, no amount of
type-safe code can
save you from a well-placed photon or two:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar/papers/memerr.pdf

[Thread snipped]

What security implications does a Java NullPointerException have?

I fail to see how java.lang.NullPointerException's are related to
stack-smashing, type-safety violations OR shell code injection (or indeed
any other kind of security problem when considered in isolation).

Nick