Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: New Microsoft Security Tool for developers

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:10:01 +0000

Ya, I saw that this morning as well. Funny thing is that if you do a bit of
poking around you will find that AppVerifier has actually been around since
sometime before 2001. If you check out
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnappcom/html/AppVerifier.asp
you will find some good documentation on how to test applications with
AppVerifier, written in October of 2001.

When I was at the Microsoft Driver DevCon last month I started to spend a
great deal of time discussing prefast, and the new static driver verifier
that Microsoft has for kernelmode code. As I explored the functionality with
some Microsoft employees I realized there are some really good functional
and security tests in these tools, and no one knows about them. I don't
think Microsoft has done enough to educate the developers buying their tools
on just what is actually available to them in the installed software.

If anyone else knows more about some of these tools, fess up. I also just
recently learned about the .NET code correctness tool called FxCop that does
code analysis of managed code assemblies and checks those against
Microsoft's Framework Design Guidelines. It even includes some good security
based rules to disclose potential issues that should be reviewed in more
depth. You can learn more about FxCop over at
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/fxcop/.

Anyone else know of some other similar tools?

---
Regards,
Dana M. Epp
[Blog: http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/]