RISKS Forum mailing list archives

Risks Digest 33.93

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 20:43:27 PST

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Saturday 11 November 2023  Volume 33 : Issue 93

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, founder and still moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/33.93>
The current issue can also be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Man crushed to death by robot in South Korea (BBC News)
Risk of all your communication eggs in one basket (Sundry)
Recognizing Fake News Now a Required Subject in California Schools
 (IJPR)
How Russian disinformation toppled multiple governments in Africa (WashPost)
Russia fines Google $100 million, and Facebook parent company $27
 million, for content violations (The Washington Post)
Cloudflare Outage: There's Plenty Of Blame To Go Around
 (Data Center Frontier)
Essays: Decoupling for Security (Schneier on Security)
U.S. Drones Are Flying Over Gaza to Aid in Hostage
 Recovery, Officials Say (The New York Times)
Look, Up in the Sky! Amazon's Drones Are Delivering Cans
 of Soup! (*The New York Times)
Five big carmakers beat lawsuits alleging infotainment
 systems invade privacy (Ars Technica)
Multiple Python Obscuration Tools that are not trustable
 (Ars Techica)
Data on 267,000 Sarnia patients going back 3 decades among cyberattack
 thefts at 5 Ontario hospitals (CBC)
Brothel compromises (Sundry items from Monty Solomon)
Android 14's storage disaster gets patched, but your data might be gone
(Ars Technica)
Man vs. Musk: A Whistleblower Creates Headaches for Tesla (NYTimes)
Don't trust *Find my apps* or location trackers like AirTags (WashPost)
Why Banks Are Suddenly Closing Down Customer Accounts (NYTimes)
Virginia State Police Prepares Team To Monitor Voter Removals (DCist)
The impasse over who controls your car data (WashPost)
This smart garage door controller is no longer very smart (The Verge)
Critical vulnerability in Atlassian Confluence server is under *mass
 exploitation* (Ars Technica)
Re: A $92,000 flying car can reach speeds of 63 miles
 (John Levine)
Re: Toyota has built an EV with a fake transmission, and
 we've driven it (Martin Ward)
Re: They Cracked the Code to a Locked USB Drive Worth
 $235 Million in Bitcoin. Then It Got Weird. (Dick Mills)
Re: Comments on RISKS-33.92 (Jericho)
Hiring: One Jamaican Bobsled Team -- and Weird Job
 Descriptions (Cliff Kilby)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)