Politech mailing list archives

What happens to BitTorrent after Grokster ruling by Supreme Court? [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:05:24 -0400

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/06/27/supreme-court-rules/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: What Happens to BitTorrent After Grokster?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:53:06 -0500
From: Mark F. Schultz <mschultz () siu edu>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Hi Declan:

Like every other IP law professor in the universe, I'm blogging on Grokster (as a guest at Eric Goldman's Technology and Marketing blog). I thought that you and your readers might be among those who would be particularly interested in a take on what happens to BitTorrent. Bottom line: Bram
Cohen and BitTorrent as a technology are fine, sites like Suprnova are not.

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2005/06/what_happens_to.htm

Excerpt:

What Happens to BitTorrent After Grokster?

By Mark Schultz, Assistant Professor, Southern Illinois School of Law

BitTorrent and its creator, Bram Cohen, should be just fine. Some services that use BitTorrent to promote infringing file sharing for commercial gain, like the now defunct Suprnova.org, are most likely in trouble. The difference in results points to one fortunate aspect of today’s decision. The Court’s holding focuses on “bad actors,” not “bad technology.” In that respect the safe harbor of Sony still stands. (Whether the prospect of having to defend oneself as a “good actor” will stifle technological development is a subject for another post or a law review article).