Politech mailing list archives

European "privacy" laws may -- or may not -- permit data retention plan [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:35:41 -0400

[Data retention of course means laws requiring Internet service providers or telephone companies to record information on what their customers are doing. Perhaps someone can remind us again how evil corporations are endangering civil liberties and our privacy cannot be trusted to the free market? (Obviously I'm joking. No CEO in his right mind would go forward with this over the objections of customers. The truth is that our privacy and civil liberties can't be trusted to governments. It's just that getting rid of them is somewhat more difficult.) --Declan]