Politech mailing list archives

Gerard Van der Leun: Journalists aren't same as doctors, lawyers, getoverit [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:03:27 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Some replies to bloggers hurting reporters' 1A defense [fs]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:09:37 -0800
From: Gerard Van der Leun <gvdl () cox net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Dear Declan,
I find it risible that Mr. Knowles seeks to conflate the singular
patient and the singular client of the doctor and lawyer respectively
with the hallowed  "source" of the "reporter." I recognize that the
promise and the fulfillment of anonymity may be necessary if the
reporter is to extract "facts" or garner quotes and opinion that the
source would not willingly put forward under his or her own name, but
that does not equate to issues of privacy and confidentiality when it
comes to medical status or legal issues.

This constant yearning of the journalist to expand the special
exemption of the 1st Amendment to a codified status is, at the end of
the day, not going to wash. It might have been doable at one time, but
in light of the continuing erosion of credibility on the part of the
press, special rules are probably not to be looked for any time soon.
People clearly understand the difference between consulting your
doctor, consulting your lawyer, or talking with your priest, and
blathering on to a journalist. The law is also, it would seem, more and
more likely to understand them as well.

For a long time, journalists relied on the assumption that "they won't
dare put me in jail for doing my job" as a kind of default protection.
Those days are waning and not likely to return. It might be wise to
memorize the number of a bail-bondsman.

As to Mr. Knowles' second assertion that 'putting two words together
and making use of a publication system' does not make someone a
journalist, what, exactly, does he think journalists have been doing
for centuries? If you want to be a doctor, a lawyer, a hairdresser or a
notary public, you have to obtain credentials. If you want to be a
journalist, just print up some business cards at Kinkos. Its an easy
job to do and a hard one to thrive at, but that doesn't mean you've got
to flash some sort of special badge. Indeed, the best thing about it
today is that there are no barriers to entry, just a very steep slope
to a living wage.

As to "subject to standards," it is to laugh.

As to "privileges," just make sure you have back-up for those expense
account lunches with your "anonymous" source.