Politech mailing list archives

Mary Bridges' firsthand report from RIAA court hearing [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:12:31 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: recording industry lawsuits
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:07:15 -0400
From: Mary Bridges <mbridges () cyber law harvard edu>
To: 'declan () well com' <declan () well com>

Hi Declan,

Yesterday, lawyers for the RIAA and for individuals accused of illegal
file-sharing met for a preliminary hearing in the case, Capital Records v.
Alaujan, in Boston.  I attended the proceeding, which involved an
interesting discussion between Judge Gertner, U.S. District Court of
Massachusetts, and the attorneys for the RIAA about a brief that the Berkman
Center filed in the case.  The RIAA representatives took issue with some of
the legal arguments in the Berkman Center's amicus brief, which was
submitted to raise some of the major legal issues in the case, rather than
to argue in favor of either of the parties.

The story, "Inside the Courtroom"
(http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/briefings/capital
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/briefings/capital> ), outlines some of the
clash points as well as the disparities between the "lawyering" on each
side.  I thought your readers might be interested.

Thanks very much,

Mary Bridges

Berkman Center for Internet and Society