Politech mailing list archives

Some responses to evil traffic cams in DC [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:59:30 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Privacy villain of the week: DC's traffic cams [priv]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:11:11 -0500
From: Jim Davidson <davidson () net1 net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
CC: jplummer () consumeralert org

Dear Declan,

In fact, placing traffic cameras on pedestrian-free highways
like New York Ave. and Anacostia Parkway may increase danger
on the roads by mixing drivers going at 'highway speed' and
other drivers slowing preciptiously to below the too-low
speed limit, anxious that a camera will snap them. This is
a recipe for disaster that compromises both safety and privacy.

No doubt safety and privacy are not at stake, where as
gaining more money for the city government is the only
yardstick by which such camera placements are measured.

It is interesting to me that red light cameras are just
now being proposed for the first time, half-heartedly,
here in Houston.  Interesting because we have a vibrant
gun culture and numerous expert marksmen with paintball
guns who would be eager to treat these vile specimens of
Orwellian statism with proper disrespect.

Of course, before ramping up the intrusiveness of speed
trap and red light cameras there in DC, first the people
were disarmed.  I wonder whether there are three paintball
guns in all of the district, or the youth with sufficient
enthusiasm to paint some targets.

Regards,

Jim
 http://www.indomitus.net/