Politech mailing list archives

A reply to f--kamerica.us and free speech rights [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:24:04 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] F--kamerica.us owner wants to sue Neustar to keep anti-Bush website [fs]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:58:34 -0800
From: Ezekiel Krahlin <ezekielk () myrealbox com>
To: declan () well com
CC: keith.kimmel () verizon net

On Saturday, March 20, 2004 Keith W. Kimmel posted:

<<
Do either of you know of a good lawyer for free speech cases? I mean a damn good one. Because I would be declaring war on the entire country, the GOP, the so-called Patriots and possibly even individual congressmen and Bush himself. I think I am sitting on one of the biggest online free speech cases

I got your request on the Politech List. Don't know if this will help, however:

I was embroiled for a while, in 1998, with keeping my gay parody of Peanuts on my website. For the complete story, see:

http://www.gay-bible.org/schulz/index_schulz.htm

The attorneys quickly backed off, shortly after I got full support from the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF); and after I created my "Schulz" page, showing the world I KNOW what my rights are, as a parody author. Since you use "fuck" in your title, you might defend your right by claiming parody. Or perhaps you can use a new URL with "screw" instead...and test them for their honesty, as that word is NOT listed under the forbidden "dirty" word list.

On my Schulz page, there is this section:

Legal Counsel & Communique
http://www.gay-bible.org/schulz/counsel.htm

There, you can read my correspondence with the CBLDF, which may or may not help your particular case. Their website is:

http://www.cbldf.org/

I'm hoping that CBLDF can either defend you directly, or give you some excellent referrals. Otherwise--being the smallfry I am in this global pool of Internet rights--I don't think I can be of any further help.

Best of luck in your worthy struggle, keith!

--
Vote for me in double-oh-four,
Or brownshirts will bang down your door!