Politech mailing list archives

Ricin recipes, redacted U.S. patents, and the war on terror [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:48:40 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: re: Debunking a myth: Internet recipe lets you make ricin
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:09:13 -0400
From: Poindexter () SAFe-mail net
To: 70743.1711 () compuserve com
CC: jya () pipeline com, declan () well com, cypherpunks () algebra com

One of the great received wisdoms of the war on terror is that deadly
recipes are available worldwide courtesy of the Internet. In the context of
information on ricin, the meme presents
regularly in the big media.

  <snip>

Finally, the mythology of the recipe for ricin exposes one of the most
nettlesome ironies of instantaneous world wide communication. Although it
has always been promised that the ubiquity of networked computing would
enable a host of alternative information sources, what is
found is that -- in practice and when push comes to shove -- the allegedly
vast ocean of alternatives all say the same thing, with only minor
variations, all drawing from the same text, the same myth.

The IIR #chemistry channel:
From our WoMD series: Practical ricin preparation complements a now redacted US patent 3,060,165
https://www.meshmx.com/fe/download_get.php?file=FE:3260610bc13ef573d9103c16e90bac53bead0eea

John Poindexter
Director
Grand Duchy of Fenwick
Institute for Strategic Studies

CC: jya () pipeline com, declan () well com, cypherpunks () algebra com

[My apologies and thanks to those who let me know I had not provided any instructions for funding of the File Exchange pay token needed for downloading the patent. Fetch the following free Acrobat document: https://www.meshmx.com/fe/download_get.php?file=FE:7afa5f883d186d893080443498aa1625639f1cb5 ]

The IIR #chemistry channel: