Politech mailing list archives

Senators call for long-overdue upgrade to thomas.loc.gov

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:17:16 -0600

---

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:43:34 -0800
To: Dave Farber:;, Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: fwd: [E-GOV:506] Senators call for Thomas site upgrade

At 9:56 AM -0500 1/21/04, "Patrice  McDermott" <pmcdermott () alawash org>, of the American Library Association, posted
to EGOV-L:

http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/e_gov/24510-1.html
Senators call for Thomas site upgrade
12/24/03
By Jason Miller,
GCN Staff

The Library of Congress' Thomas portal is inadequate in giving
citizens access to House and Senate information, six senators said in a
letter to the Librarian of Congress yesterday.

Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas), Jon Corzine (D-N.J.), Russell Feingold
(D-Wis.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.) and John
McCain (R-Ariz.) told James Billington that Thomas was a
"bare-bones" site with limited searching tools.

"In our view, the current form of Thomas is insufficient as a portal
to the Congress," the senators said. "We urge you to upgrade the
Thomas Web site in order to make available to the public the
nonproprietary services that are available on the Legislative
Information System."