Politech mailing list archives

Newsforge.com: Saudi Arabia's Net filters don't work very well [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:31:27 -0500

---

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:15:44 -0500
From: "Robin 'Roblimo' Miller" <robin () roblimo com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Saudi Arabia's Net content filter doesn't work very well

Eyas S. Al-Hejery, PhD, may be the only computer geek in Saudi Arabia to have had the eyes of the world focus on his work. That's because he's head of the country's Internet Service Unit, which runs the country's infamous Web-censoring system that is supposed to defend Saudi citizens from "those pages of an offensive or harmful nature to the society, and which violate the tenants [sic] of the Islamic religion or societal norms."

More at http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/12/2147220

--------

I had no trouble bypassing Saudi Arabia's national content filter. And according to the guy who runs it, many other people find it just as easy to get around as I do.

- Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
  (in Riyadh, KSA)