Politech mailing list archives

FTC convenes "spyware" workshop... with scant results

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:36:49 -0400

http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5195222.html

Few solutions pop up at FTC adware workshop
Last modified: April 19, 2004, 7:04 PM PDT
By Declan McCullagh

WASHINGTON--Spyware, adware and other code that lurks on hard drives has become so pervasive it's bedeviling home users, driving corporate technology managers to distraction and has become the top complaint in customer service calls to computer makers.

But participants in a one-day workshop convened Monday by the Federal Trade Commission couldn't decide what to do about it.

Software companies warned of poorly written laws targeting spyware that could inadvertently affect legitimate products like smut-filtering software or security update mechanisms. Microsoft suggested that technology in a forthcoming Windows XP Service Pack might do the trick, while other participants touted third-party rating systems and voluntary codes of conduct.

Politicians and their aides defended laws targeting spyware, citing the example of last year's federal law regulating spam. But some advertising companies claim their business model is perfectly legitimate, and law enforcement representatives acknowledged they already had sufficient legal authority under computer crime laws to put the most noxious spyware makers in prison.

When asked whether new laws were needed to place spyware authors in prison, Mark Eckenwiler, a senior computer crime prosecutor at the U.S. Justice Department, replied: "By and large, the answer is no. In our quiver, we have a number of arrows we can use in prosecutions."

While spyware and adware started to become a public concern about a year ago, only in the past few months have some variants become the Internet equivalent of Public Enemy No. 1.

[...remainder snipped...]