Politech mailing list archives

California state senator wants to ban Gmail [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:32:18 -0400

[What a wonderful way to attract businesses to California! Now perhaps the honorable Liz Figueroa will receive a "defender of privacy" award from some of her pro-regulatory fans. --Declan]

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5190219.html

California legislator moves to block Gmail
Last modified: April 12, 2004, 4:05 PM PDT
By Reuters

A California state senator said Monday she was drafting legislation to block Google's free e-mail service "Gmail" because it would place advertising in personal messages after searching them for key words.

"We think it's an absolute invasion of privacy. It's like having a massive billboard in the middle of your home," said Sen. Liz Figueroa, a Democrat from Fremont, Calif.

"We are asking them to rethink the whole product," she said. [...]

Figueroa, who was the author of California's do-not-call law that allows citizens to block telemarketing calls, said she was pursuing the legislation because she had not yet received a response to a letter sent Thursday to Google co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, in which she laid out her concerns.

[...]