Politech mailing list archives

Diebold nastygrams Politech member over internal letters [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:57:38 -0500

---

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:24:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall () sims berkeley edu>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Students receiving cease-desists from Diebold...

Hi Dave, Declan,

We could really use your help publicizing this.

Myself, along with students from 20 other universities are starting to
receive cease and desist letters from Diebold Election Systems. A copy
of the cease-and-desist letter received by MIT is here:

http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~jhall/temp/diebold_c-d.pdf

The letters are in response to our coordinated electronic civil
disobedience effort to keep a compressed file of internal Diebold
memos alive and force them to do a legal version of "whack a mole."
We have other students with the files lined up ready to take our place
as sites are taken down.

For more on the disobedience effort, See:
http://why-war.com/features/2003/10/diebold.html

We need help getting the word out and having other institutions/
individuals post mirrors to the files.  The Berkeley copies will be
available here (below) until we are forced to take them down or can
convince our University to fight the cease-and-desist actions on fair
use grounds.

http://sims.berkeley.edu/~jhall/nqb/archives/lists.tgz
http://sims.berkeley.edu/~parkert/misc/lists.tgz

We are within the bounds of fair use as the memos are highly
newsworthy and seem to implicate illegal activity on behalf of Diebold
Election Systems. A more extensive legal case is available by reading
Wendy Seltzer's response to one of the cease-and-desist letters:

http://www.chillingeffects.org/responses/notice.cgi?NoticeID=912

If you are a student reading this and can host a mirror, send a link
and your institution's name to info () why-war com .

Thanks for your time,
Joe