Politech mailing list archives

Replies to U.S. Postal Service dislikes anonymous mail [fs][priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:53:44 -0500

---

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:34:32 -0500
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-int () htt-consult com>
Subject: Re: [Politech] U.S. Postal Service doesn't like anonymous
  physical mail [fs][priv]

Have you given any thought to what it would take to really have this work?

Everyone would need a tempus-class mail signer that had a digital cert from some trusted root.

They would have to put a unique number on the mailing (160 bits, probably) and then use the signer to create a digital sig of that number and this would also be on the mail.

Just about anything else could be forged.

Nah, even this really doesn't work. The PO would have to keep a log of all these numbers and make sure they were never reused, to avoid spoofing of even them.....

So ANYTHING they do is just window-dressing and a money sink.

---