Politech mailing list archives

Sony caves to angry Quebeckers over "offensive" videogame [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:19:15 -0500

---

From: David Akin <dakin () ctv ca>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>
Subject: Sony caves to angry Quebeckers
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:44:03 -0400

Hey Declan --

This is the first time I've ever heard of a game publisher pull content
because some group found it objectionable. Go figger.

>From today's Globe and Mail:

Sony deletes terrorist attack

Electronics giant Sony Corp. yesterday bowed to intense pressure from Quebec
politicians and decided to delete video-game scenes featuring separatist
terrorists engaging in bloody gunfights in a Toronto shopping mall and
subway.
Syphon Filter 4: The Omega Strain included terrorists from the fictitious
Quebec Liberation Front attacking Toronto with biological weapons, machine
guns and grenades. The video-game player is told to "mow down" the
terrorists."

[Full story at http://tinyurl.com/s7mm]

I've provided some additional information on this story at my blog:
http://davidakin.blogware.com

David Akin
CTV News
The Globe and Mail