Politech mailing list archives

Woman sentenced for intercepting email of husband's ex-wife

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:22:34 +0200

---

From: "mobius1" <mobiustrip () the44 net>
To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
Subject: Woman Sentenced for Reading Husband's Email
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:08:10 -0400

YAHOO NEWS: Woman Sentenced for Intercepting E-Mail
http://tinylink.com/?2rPaZLfsXV
55 minutes ago

DENVER - A judge sentenced an Arizona woman to 60 days home detention for
intercepting her husband's ex-wife's e-mail, saying the penalty is a warning
to others who might be tempted to do the same.

"Privacy is still a cherished value," U.S. District Judge Richard P. Matsch
said in sentencing Angel Lee, 28, of El Mirage, Ariz.

Lee pleaded guilty in March and admitted accessing at least 215 e-mails sent
last year to her husband's ex-wife, Duongladde Ramsay. Officials said she
fraudulently obtained the user name and password information for Ramsay's
e-mail account.

Matsch, best known for his role overseeing the Oklahoma City bombing trials,
has said the e-mail case involved a vicious divorce dispute over children.
At Lee's sentencing Friday, he said he considered sending her to jail but
believed she needed to be home with her young children.

"I really apologize for what I did," Lee told the judge. "She (Ramsay) has a
right to feel the way she feels."

Ramsay has compared Lee's actions to someone breaking into her home and
reading her diary.