Politech mailing list archives

Event: GWU law review on surveillance, Patriot Act (10/23) [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:22:05 -0400

---

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:53:59 -0400
From: "Amanda R. Johnson" <ajohnson () law gwu edu>
To: <declan () well com>

Mr. McCullagh,

I am with The George Washington Law Review and was given your name by Professor Orin Kerr. I am writing to ask you make a posting on your politech list regarding a symposium that we are hosting on October 23, entitled "The Future of Internet Surveillance Law."

I have attached a brochure regarding the event and would be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have. We are truly hoping to have an impact on this area of the law and I would greatly appreciate any publicity that you could offer. Please feel fre to contact me for further information or to register for the event yourself.

Thank you,

Amanda Johnson
Senior Projects Editor
The George Washington Law Review

---

Hosted by The George Washington Law Review

The Future of Internet Surveillance Law

A SYMPOSIUM TO DISCUSS
INTERNET SURVEILLANCE, PRIVACY &
USA PATRIOT ACT

Thursday, October 23, 2003

The George Washington University Law School invites you to join a distinguished group of leading scholars and practitioners to discuss what Congress should do with the statutory laws that govern internet surveillance, such as the Wiretap Act, the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Congressional debate over internet surveillance laws has been hindered by a surprising lack of legal scholarship, which could help Congress as it considers various reform initiatives. As the events of September 11, 2001 and the passage of the USA Patriot Act demonstrate, Internet surveillance law is very important, but also quite poorly understood. Our hope is that the papers presented at our symposium will have both a practical importance for Congress and a theoretical importance for legal scholarship. The topic is particularly timely because many of the surveillance provisions of the Patriot Act will "sunset" in December 2005 and Congress will be looking for advice on how to proceed in the future. We would be delighted if the papers presented at our symposium prove helpful.

                                      Schedule of Events
                       Thursday, October 23, 2003

All events will be held at The George Washington University Law School, located at 2000 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20052

8:15 a.m.   Breakfast & Check-in
            Location: North Entrance, First Floor

8:45 a.m.   Welcome Address
        Dean Michael K. Young, The George Washington University Law School
                Location: Jacobs Burns Moot Court Room, First Floor

9:00 a.m.   Panel I: Surveillance, Records, & Computers
Jim Dempsey, Executive Director, Center for Democracy and Technology Deidre Mulligan, School of Law, University of California, Berkeley**
Clifford Fishman, Columbus School of Law, The Catholic
University of America
Paul Ohm, Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section,
United States Department of Justice
Patricia L. Bellia, University of Notre Dame Law School
Moderator: Daniel J. Solove, The George Washington University Law School
      Location: Jacob Burns Moot Court Room, First Floor

11:30 a.m.  Luncheon
Location: Faculty Conference Center, Fifth Floor

12:45 p.m.   Panel II: Surveillance Law: Reshaping the
 Framework
Orin S. Kerr, The George Washington University Law School**
Daniel J. Solove, The George Washington University Law School
Beryl A. Howell, Former Chief Counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee
Peter Swire, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University
Paul M. Schwartz, Brooklyn School of Law
Moderator: Ellen S. Podgor, Georgia State University College of Law
                Location: Faculty Conference Center, Fifth Floor

3:15 p.m.  Closing Remarks
Location: Faculty Conference Center, Fifth Floor

4:00 p.m.  Reception
Location: GW University Club, 1918 F Street, N.W.

** Due to prior commitments, these authors may be unable to present their articles. However, all of the papers will be discussed at the symposium, and all will appear in the symposium issue of the Law Review.

                          Registration Form

The Future of Internet Surveillance Law

                                  Thursday, October 23, 2003

To RSVP for the symposium, please send the following information to Amanda Johnson via email at ajohnson () law gwu edu:

State: _________ Zip Code: _________