Politech mailing list archives

Google is telling frequent visitors how many searches they do

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:30:15 -0400

[As described, it seems pretty innocuous to me. --Declan]

---

Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:56:27 -0700
From: "Da'ud X Mohammed" <webmaster () ocnsignal com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Search Engine Users, Google Is Watching

Hullo Declan,

Maybe we could get some Politech feedback on this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/06/technology/06goog.html?ex=1066017600&#038;en=6b48de61370e996b&#038;ei=5062&#038;partner=GOOGLE

Frequent Search Engine Users, Google Is Watching and Counting
By LISA NAPOLI - New York Times

Most Google users do not have it, but a select few now have a no-frills counter that with each search clicks higher, noting "You have done 479 searches," or whatever the actual number.

What is going on here? Google, which processes about 200 million search requests a day at no cost to users, said the counter had been placed on the hard drives of fewer than 1 percent of its users.

Requires registration.

Thanks

With peace

dxm