Politech mailing list archives

Florida university locks out P2P users --Wired News

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:47:27 -0400

---

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall () sims berkeley edu>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Florida Dorms Lock Out P2P Users

Declan, Dave... presumably legitimate p2p users are being locked out
as well. They do exist. -Joe

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,60613,00.html

---
Florida Dorms Lock Out P2P Users

By Katie Dean
02:00 AM Oct. 03, 2003 PT

The University of Florida has developed a tool to help extricate the
school from the morass of peer-to-peer file trading, and early results
show that it's succeeding.

Integrated Computer Application for Recognizing User Services,
commonly called Icarus, debuted over the summer on the network that
links all the residence halls on the UF campus.

The open-source program was developed by campus programmers to cut off
the file sharing going on among students. Housing officials say the
application educates students as it restricts them from peer-to-peer
services.

Last spring, the university received about 40 notices of copyright
violations per month. At peak file-trading periods, 90 percent of the
traffic on the housing network was peer-to-peer. In an average 24-hour
period, 3,500 of the 7,500 students in the residence halls would use
P2P services like Kazaa.

"We needed something to stem the flow. We were spending too much time
tracking people down," said Robert Bird, supervisor of network
services for the UF department of housing. "There were too many of
them and too few of us."

Enter Icarus.

"Icarus has detected about 300 people using P2P this fall," Bird said.
"That's an over 90 percent drop in people using P2P. That's a dramatic
reduction in user behavior."

[...]

Copyright 2003, Lycos, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Graduate Student                        http://pobox.com/~joehall

"I am sitting in an Internet cafe surrounded by 13-year-old boys
looking at porn. It's f**cking sad. On the plus side, porn is really a
great way to teach young boys about how to manejar una computadora and
how to use the Internet.  They even are learning some English in the
process..."  --Richard Hall, Peace Corps volunteer in Panama.

EFF petition against RIAA mass litigation: http://tinyurl.com/nlib