Politech mailing list archives

Replies to Jim Harper over Canada's privacy commissioner [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:23:55 -0500

---

From: "Downes, Stephen" <Stephen.Downes () nrc-cnrc gc ca>
To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: [Politech] Auditor finds shocking abuses by ex-Canadian priva
        cy commissioner [priv]
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:03:53 -0400

You'll note, I hope, that this is the auditing system working the way it
should, catching unjustified expenses and dubious expense accounts. The
phrase 'no bureaucrat is safe' should say 'no dishonest bureaucrat is safe'
- the vast majority of people who have been audited receive positive reports
from the auditor general, mainly because they spent the taxpayers' money in
a respectful and reasonable fashion. Of course, that won't get any media
play.

-- Stephen

Stephen Downes ~ E-Learning Group ~ National Research Council Canada
          stephen () downes ca -~- http://www.downes.ca
For free daily news and information about e-learning and related
technology, visit OLDaily at http://www.downes.ca/news

---