Politech mailing list archives

Why not to mirror Diebold documents: privacy concerns [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:50:47 -0500

---

Subject: Re: [Politech] Diebold nastygrams Politech member over internal
        letters [fs]
From: Erick Peirson <erick () anatolius ptgamer org>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: 01 Nov 2003 15:00:24 -0800

Hey Declan,

I would advise Mr. Hall that this campaign affects more than just
Diebold. There is a vast amount of personal information of employees,
completely unrelated to the issue at hand, contained in the tarball.
Civil disobedience does not necessitate the abandonment of morals. The
publication of private phone numbers and other personal information is
not justified by the goals that these people are trying to reach.

I, for one, would be willing to support this cause by erecting a mirror,
however I will not do so while the movement neglects consideration of
the scope of their influence. Publishing the personal information of
employees will gain them no ground in their fight, and may place them in
a bad light in the perspective of people like myself.

Peace.
Erick