Politech mailing list archives

Bill 602P lives? Politician warns states may tax email messages

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:35:27 -0500

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_2390408,00.html

Congresswoman goes on offensive over fear of e-mail tax

By RICHARD POWELSON, powelsonr () shns com
October 31, 2003

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., warned Thursday that governments might start taxing every e-mail transmission if Congress does not quickly renew a federal ban on Internet-access taxes expiring Saturday.

[...]

Blackburn's warning came in a written statement sent to newspapers for publication as an op-ed piece, and she reiterated it in a subsequent interview.

Blackburn said she was concerned that if Congress does not renew the ban on Internet access taxes, local areas could tax an e-mail each time it passed from one computer server to another. She urged the Senate to quickly pass the House-passed ban on Internet access taxes.

"We can chuckle about (an e-mail tax) now, but we won't be laughing if America's thousands of taxing jurisdictions actually start taxing e-mail," Blackburn said. "And that is exactly what could happen if we do not extend this moratorium by Friday night."

[...]