Politech mailing list archives

FC: Penn State prez does online chat about P2P sharing

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 02:34:22 -0400

---

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:38:15 -0400
Subject: Chronicle of Higher Ed chat on File Sharing on Campus Tomorrow
From: Ben Stanfield -- MacSlash <ben () macslash com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Declan,

I found this in my surfing today, and thought Politech readers might be
interested, considering the recent coverage of the RIAA's false accusations
and apologies to Penn State.

> http://live.psu.edu/index.php?sec=vs&story=3084

Penn State President Graham Spanier will be discussing file sharing on
University campuses in an online chat at the Chronicle of Higher Education.

The blurb refers to Spanier as "a national leader in addressing the issue of
file sharing on university campuses" and also notes that he recently
testified before the US Congress about file sharing.

Having attended Penn State during Spanier's time there, I know he can and
does fight valiantly for students' rights, particularly freedom of speech
and expression. He's certainly faced his share of controversy, but he often
has interesting and worthwhile insights, and I'm sure his chat tomorrow will
be quite interesting.

Hope some Politechers get a chance to participate.

Ben

--
Ben Stanfield
Executive Editor, MacSlash, Inc.

"And here's some cheering news: More people (4 million) tune in to The Daily
Show in a given week than watched Fox news at the height of the war (3.3
million)." Susan Douglas in "The Nation"